The school SEND Coordinator is Mrs Alanna Richardson
I would like to introduce myself as the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCO) for this academic year. I am looking forward to carrying on the hard work done by Mrs Stribbling over the years.
The Role of the SENCO involves:
- Overseeing the day to day operation of the School’s SEND policy.
- Co-ordinating provision for children with SEND.
- Liaising with and advising colleagues.
- Involving other providers and external agencies where appropriate.
- Liaising with parents of children with SEND.
- Ensuring the school keeps up to date records of all the pupils with SEND.
- Developing the SEND provision further.
- Tracking and monitoring the progress of children with SEND.
Children have a special educational need if they have a learning difficulty which calls for provision/support that is additional to and different from children of the same age. This can range from extra support from an adult, small group interventions, specialist equipment and/or personalised targets.
The child’s class teacher is responsible for working with the child, planning and delivering an individual programme where appropriate.
Parents of children on the SEND register who have a Support Plan will have the opportunity to discuss their child’s needs and to share the support plan for this term. This will be arranged at a later date.
The first point of contact for any concern about a child’s progress and learning will always be the class teacher. However, I am here to help and support in any way I can.